Top Tips for August 2019!
This version of BBQ chicken comes all the way from Trinidad and is sweet, sticky and spicy in equal measures - just the thing for a family friendly BBQ. In contains a blend of European herbs (thyme, parsley, chives and coriander), curry powder, bell peppers and a touch of fiery habanero chilli which is mixed with a few cupboard staples to make an incredibly moreish sauce. A top tip (from Trinidadian spicerer Liz) is to wrap the chicken in foil to retain all the delicious juices!
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Serves: 4
- Heat rating: 3/5
- Dietary: contains yellow MUSTARD. May contain traces of celery, sesame and shrimp powder.
- 4 chicken legs - slashed through to the bone a few times or use thickly sliced aubergine for a veg version
- 50g tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (any type)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Your choice of fries or potato salad and coleslaw to serve
- 1 portion of Trini BBQ Blend (1 portion is 2 tbsp): coriander leaf, cumin, black pepper, fenugreek, turmeric, ginger, yellow MUSTARD, green cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, chilli, parsley, coriander, thyme, chives, allspice, red bell pepper, habanero chilli
Allergens are listed in CAPITALS. May contain traces of celery, sesame and shrimp powder
Please note if you're making a bigger batch, you'll need to scale up the fresh ingredients in proportion, but the spices only by ⅔ or it will be too intense!
- Mix the TRINI BBQ BLEND with 50ml freshly boiled water from the kettle and leave to soak for 5 minutes
- Mix in the tomato ketchup, soy sauce and sugar to make your Trini BBQ sauce (add 2 tbsp oil if using aubergine)
- Mix ½ of the BBQ sauce with the chicken and leave in the fridge to marinate
- Preheat the grill or light the BBQ now
- Grill for chicken for 25 minutes or until cooked through to the bone, turning frequently to prevent it burning and basting with the remaining BBQ Sauce for the last few minutes of cooking
- Serve with your choice of fries or potato salad and coleslaw on the side
DIY SOS - Spicery-style!
by Georgia on 8th September 2021
Spicing up the Spicery with a lick of paint!Read Full Post
Mezze Legend - Staff Home Testing!
by Georgia on 31st August 2021
Some of the brand new Mezze Legend recipes, as cooked at home by the Spicery team!Read Full Post