Top Tips for October 2019!
This autumnal curry utilising the delicious vegetables available at this time of the year is based on a classic curry house dhansak which is distinctively sweet, hot and sour. Lentils form the base of the sauce and this makes for a filling, hearty and wholesome dish for when the evenings are getting a little cooler. Total Time: 1 hour 20 minServes: 4Heat rating: 4/5Dietary: contains yellow MUSTARD
- 600g mixture of autumn veg (eg potatoes, squash, parsnips, carrots etc) - peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion - thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- Fresh ginger - finely chopped to make 1 tbsp
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 100g red lentils
- 4 tsp sugar (dark brown is best)
- Rice and yogurt to serve
- 1 portion of AUTUMN VEG CURRY BLEND (1 portion = 3 tbsp): coriander, cumin, black pepper, fenugreek, turmeric, ginger, yellow MUSTARD, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, chilli, paprika, tamarind (tamarind, cornstarch), amchur, MUSTARD seeds, Kashmiri chilli
Allergens are listed in CAPITALS. May contain traces of celery and sesame
Please note if you're making a bigger batch, you'll need to scale up the fresh ingredients in proportion, but the spices only by ⅔ or it will be too intense!
- Fry the onion in 3 tbsp oil for 10 minutes or until soft, brown and sticky
- Stir in the garlic and ginger then cook for 1 minute or until the garlic and ginger begin to soften
- Add the sugar then cook for 2 minutes or until the sugar starts to caramelise
- Stir in the lentils, autumn veg, tomato puree, AUTUMN VEG CURRY BLEND, 1 tsp salt and 800ml water then cover and cook for 40 minutes (stirring occasionally to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan) or until the autumn veg is soft and the lentils have completely broken down to form a thick pulpy sauce
- 15 minutes before the curry is ready cook the rice
- Stir the juice of the lemon into the curry then serve with the rice and yogurt on the side
DIY SOS - Spicery-style!
by Georgia on 8th September 2021
Spicing up the Spicery with a lick of paint!Read Full Post
Mezze Legend - Staff Home Testing!
by Georgia on 31st August 2021
Some of the brand new Mezze Legend recipes, as cooked at home by the Spicery team!Read Full Post