Carnival Lime Pepper Sauce
Our newest spicerer, Elizabeth, hails from the party island of Trinidad and Tobago. Like most other Trinis, she is excited for the Carnival season, which is celebrated each year on the Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday.
This huge street party would never be complete without music, drink and lots of food! However, no Trini meal is complete without a good helping of Lime Pepper Sauce. Enjoy a burst of lime flavour before the heat kicks in from red pepper and habanero flakes. Lime Pepper Sauce can be eaten with almost anything...from curries to rice and peas and even cheese on toast!
- 2 limes - zested and juiced
- 1 yellow pepper - roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - roughly chopped
- 1 portion Pepper Sauce Blend (1 portion / 1 tbsp) - PLEASE NOTE IF YOU'RE MAKING A BIGGER BATCH, YOU'LL NEED TO SCALE UP THE FRESH INGREDIENTS IN PROPORTION BUT THE SPICES ONLY BY 2/3 OR IT WILL BE TOO SPICY!
- Boil the pepper and garlic for 10 minutes or until soft then drain well
- Blend the softened pepper and garlic with the juice and zest of the limes, the PEPPER SAUCE BLEND and ½ tsp salt to a coarse puree (adding a splash of water if necessary)
- Serve on the side of...everything!