Legend has it that the British curry house favourite chicken tikka masala was invented as a way of using up leftover pieces of grilled, marinated chicken (tikka means bits or pieces in Urdu).
These chicken tikka kebabs are so delicious that you’re unlikely to have any leftovers! The chicken is marinated in yogurt spiced with this month’s TIKKA BLEND, resulting in meltingly tender kebabs. They’re a perfect, easy summer recipe - cook them under the grill if it’s raining, or on the barbecue if the sun’s shining!
- 500g diced chicken (thighs are best) OR diced paneer and peppers for a veg version
- 100g full fat natural yogurt (not Greek or set yogurt) plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Indian breads, salad and chutney for 4 to serve
- TIKKA BLEND (1 portion / 2 tbsp): Coriander, cumin, Kashmiri chilli, paprika, smoked paprika, turmeric, garlic, amchur, salt, ajowan, mint, black pepper, ginger, asafoetida, fenugreek leaves, mustard - PLEASE NOTE IF YOU'RE MAKING A BIGGER BATCH, YOU'LL NEED TO SCALE UP THE FRESH INGREDIENTS IN PROPORTION BUT THE SPICES ONLY BY 2/3 OR IT WILL BE TOO SPICY!
- Mix the chicken with the yogurt, tomato puree and TIKKA BLEND then thread onto skewers and place in fridge until grilling
- Grill the skewers for 10 minutes, turning regularly until cooked through and beginning to char around the edges
- Warm the Indian breads now
- Serve the chicken tikka, salad, chutney and yogurt inside the breads